Given the winter conditions of late, Outaouais Public Health decided to remind residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide. The CISSS de l’Outaouais explained the carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless toxic gas, which does not irritate the the eyes or lungs.
’’Breathing carbon monoxide can be very dangerous for your health and is potentially deadly. The only way of knowing if you’re breathing it is with a carbon monoxide detector,’’ says the CISSSO’s release. ’’Carbon monoxide poisonings symptoms includes headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. The toxic gas is released in the air when appliances and vehicles burn fuel such as propane, wood, fuel oil, etc.’’ When its cold out, its important to remind people to be aware of how they are heating their homes and spaces, of the importance of not using heating systems like propane indoors.
It is also important not to run vehicles in a poorly ventilated area to avoid exposure to carbon monoxide. When traveling in winter, bring the necessary equipment with you in the event of an unplanned stop on the road (shovel, blanket, water, food, etc.).
If you have symptoms of poisoning, whether the carbon monoxide alarm is sounding or not, you must first think about your safety. Leave the premises and head outside.
– Dial 9-1-1 or call the Quebec Poison Control Center at 1-800-463-5060.
"Leave the door open when you leave to ventilate the area completely.
Wait for permission from a firefighter to go back inside, even for a few minutes.
For more information and instructions on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning visit the Québec.ca website on the following page.