Fort-Coulonge homicide case moves forward
Publication ban on details from preliminary inquiry held Jan. 10-14
Article published on 18 January 2022
last modification on 17 January 2022
logo imprimer
Noter cet article :
1 vote

A Fort-Coulonge homicide case continues to wind its way through the court system, as a preliminary inquiry was held last week. A preliminary inquiry is used in serious cases to determine whether evidence is sufficient to proceed to a trial.

Police were called to a residence on rue Principale the evening of September 2, 2020, where they found 61-year-old Harold Plugowsky, 61, of Fort Coulonge with severe head trauma. He died in hospital the following morning. Johan Mitchell Blake MacLennan, 37 at the time, was arrested and subsequently charged with first-degree murder after a brief court appearance on September 3.

Crown Prosecutor Simon Pelletier explained that defense lawyer Élise Pinsonnault requested a publication ban on the preliminary inquiry, and at this stage the judge must comply with the request.

“When it’s sought by the defense at the preliminary inquiry stage, the judge has no discretion,” he said.

Thus, news outlets are unable to report any of the testimony or details provided at the hearings, which took place from January 10 to 14.

Pelletier did note that they heard from several witnesses and the proceedings took the full five days. The next stage of the trial will be on February 9, when the defense and crown make their submissions to the judge, who will render his decision on the charges going forward.

“The big issue, and that’s really the purpose of a preliminary inquiry, is really what’s going to be the charge for trial. That’s the big thing, that’s the main thing that the judge will have to decide,” Pelletier explained. “If the judge says, ’I’m ok, or there’s sufficient evidence to go ahead with first degree murder,’ well, that has an implication. If he says ’Well, it’s manslaughter,’ - which, I would be surprised but we never know - let’s say he says this, then well we’re bound by this decision. We have to respect that.”

Depending on the charge, Pelletier expected that the case would be heard by a Superior Court judge and jury. Submissions will take place on February 9 at 9 a.m. in courtroom 16 at the Gatineau Courthouse.

Crown prosecutors for the case are Pelletier and Stéphane Rolland. The accused is represented by Pinsonnault and Catherine Ranalli.

Les Nouvelles du Pontiac

Luke Richardson named head coach of Chicago Blackhawks

29 June 2022

On Monday (June 27), the Chicago Blackhawks announced that Luke Richardson would be named as the Original Six franchise's 40th head coach. Richardson, 53, grew up in Ottawa but has extensive family ties to Shawville and served at the assistant coach of the Montreal Canadiens for the past four (...)

lire la suite

Canada Day celebrations throughout the Pontiac

28 June 2022

There will be plenty of options when it comes to Canada Day activities in the Pontiac region this Friday. Several municipalities have plans to mark the occasion: Shawville In Shawville, things will get underway on Thursday (June 30) evening with the longstanding tradition of the Soapbox (...)

lire la suite

Group to document archaeological sites in Municipality of Pontiac

28 June 2022

A local historical group has launched a pilot project to create an inventory of archaeological sites in the Municipality of Pontiac. Known as Archéo-Pontiac, the project will be headed by the Friends of Chats Falls, a local group that provides historic walks and information sessions on the (...)

lire la suite

The MRC Pontiac - Safety advice related to domestic fireworks and outdoor fires

28 June 2022

The MRC Pontiac fire prevention service wanted to inform the public about the fire risks associated with the festivities during the summer. The fire prevention technician of the MRC Pontiac, Richard Pleau, wanted to remind you of the rules mainly concerning domestic fireworks and outdoor fires. (...)

lire la suite

More than 300 km of the proposed Dumoine river biodiversity reserve targeted to expand protected areas in Quebec

28 June 2022

When the Government of Quebec announced last week to create 11 new protected areas and thus add nearly 2000 square kilometers to its network of protected areas mainly in the south of the province, two places in the Pontiac were targeted by the Quebec government. Indeed, in addition to the (...)

lire la suite

A meeting between Équité Outaouais and Minister Mathieu Lacombe regarding the future hospital in the region

28 June 2022

The citizen coalition Équité Outaouais revealed that it had met with the minister responsible for the Outaouais region, Mathieu Lacombe, for “ a frank and direct dialogue ” concerning the future Gatineau hospital (CHAU). “Today, the message sent to the government is clear. The Outaouais absolutely (...)

lire la suite


Advertising