The Union of Quebec Municipalities (UMQ) says it has positively received the work plan announced by the Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP) which aims to optimize the use of fiber and make the regime more efficient. The Chairman of the UMQ Forest Committee and Mayor of Val-d´Or, Pierre Corbeil.
Pierre Corbeil believes that the MFFP’s work plan will be an opportunity to recognize the forest as a real tool for sustainable development in order to work on reviving the forest industry in Quebec.
Here are the five winning conditions of the UMQ communicated to the MFFP:
- Improve the predictability and stability of supplies (three to five years) to maintain jobs, vitality and dynamic occupation of territories;
- Relax the requirements for integrated forest management plans, for greater regional and territorial flexibility;
- Review the operation of the Bureau de mise en marché des bois (BMMB) so that it better reflects the forestry reality of the various territories of Quebec and that these improvements are measured in particular in the award rate;
- Ensure the complete realization of the silvicultural recipe of the private forest, including the harvest of wood, by increasing productivity and using the professional latitude of the forest engineer;
- Recognize dual-purpose paths and provide allowances from the first trip.
The French interview with Pierre Corbeil is available here.