The Quebec government will unveil its economic recovery plan Tuesday afternoon.
After the announcement of the upcoming reopening of primary schools and childcare services Monday, the Québec Premier François Legault is preparing for the gradual recovery of certain economic sectors in the province.
’’The situation within our hospitals is stable’’ - Francois Legault. This is the first condition to start reviving Quebec, except for the Montreal region (the epicenter). We need to announce it in advance so that people can start preparing. If we realize that the situation is not under control, we will extend the deadline.
The director of public health, Dr Horacio Arruda, said that relaxing roadblocks between the regions would also be possible in the coming weeks, but that experts will have to adjust the measures gradually.
However, Dr. Arruda warned several times that the steps that will be announced do not mean a complete deconfinement of Quebec, far from it. He added that the objective will also be to massively increase screening. In particular, he hopes to perform up to 15,000 tests per day.
The government, under the recommendations of experts, will therefore be able to assess the development of the situation on a daily basis and return, if necessary, to confinement measures.
Last week, Premier Legault also wanted to reassure citizens to this effect: “We do not want lose control of the situation,” he said.
Quebec now has 24,982 confirmed cases of people with COVID-19. The death toll stands at 1,599 in the province. The Outaouais region has 266 cases and two deaths.
To learn more about the coronavirus, Citizens is invited to consult Québec.ca/coronavirus.
For more information, Québec Residents are also invited to consult the designated phone line: 819 644-4545 ou au 1 877 644-4545 (Toll Free).