Complete fire ban in the Pontiac
“Extreme” fire risk
Article published on 22 June 2020
logo imprimer
Noter cet article :
0 vote

The Pontiac is currently banned from lighting open fires, given the “extreme” risk of fire.

The Deputy Premier of Quebec and Minister of Public Security, Geneviève Guilbault, recalled that the cooperation of citizens is essential in order to avoid the outbreak of fires, such as the major forest fire raging north of the Lac Saint-Jean.

Several Pontiac municipalities had already announced a ban on setting fires in their areas for the same reasons, including in Upper-Pontiac.

During the press briefing held Monday at the end of the day, Minister Guilbault also warned Quebecers about their water consumption, due to the little precipitation received in the last days.

Given the weather conditions that have evolved in the southern sector of Quebec, the Société de protection des forêts contre le feu (SOPFEU) issued last Friday, a ban on open fires in the forest or nearby everywhere in the Outaouais , including in the MRC Pontiac.

St-Jean-Baptiste and fireworks
Minister Guilbault finally asks the population to avoid fireworks this year during the St-Jean-Baptiste celebrations, considering the risk of fire on the rise in several sectors of Quebec.

Two major forest fires have been active in two regions of Quebec for several days. A first was detected last Tuesday in the Chute-des-Passes sector, in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region, and the second has been underway since Friday in Rivière-Ouelle in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region. SOPFEU is at work in these burnt territories.

Note that SOPFEU estimated Monday morning at 72,014 hectares of forest burned by the Lac-Saint-Jean fire, which is still calling on many firefighters to the ground.

The ban on open fires also aims to preserve the operational capacity of SOPFEU and that of municipal fire safety services during the pandemic, by limiting the risks of the spread of COVID-19 when firefighters responded to alerts.

Les Nouvelles du Pontiac

Campbell's Bay to complete downtown revitalization plan

21 January 2021

The mayor of the municipality of Campbell's Bay, Maurice Beauregard, said he was greatly satisfied with the work of the council in the most recent year, in particular thanks to the obtaining of grants for projects which should materialize in 2021. “We will be able to continue to develop our (...)

lire la suite

MRC Pontiac elected officials are divided

21 January 2021

The tension was high between elected officials during the meeting of the mayors of the MRC Pontiac which took place yesterday (Wednesday, January 20) concerning the bio-park file. This subject, or certain aspects of this file, have already been dealt with a few times in recent meetings, (...)

lire la suite

“The status quo is not an option” -Stéphane Labine

20 January 2021

The Caisse Desjardins des Rivières de Pontiac still offers services to its customers during the current lockdown. The general manager of the Caisse, Stéphane Labine, explains certain measures that have been put in place to serve customers. CHIP101.9 · Extrait - Stéphane Labine - services pendant (...)

lire la suite

Grand opening of Café Dowtown in Fort-Coulonge

20 January 2021

Pontiacers can now visit a new business, le Café Downtown, which is located in Fort-Coulonge, in a completely renovated building adapted to welcome customers, but also for shows. The Downtown, as owner Rémi Bertrand affectionately calls it, aims to offer an original menu, inspired by the American (...)

lire la suite

“All the energy is on the recovery and the recruitment of a management” -Mario Boyer

20 January 2021

The interim director general of Île-du-Grand-Calumet, Mario Boyer, told CHIP 101.9 that the municipal council was going to await the process of the Commission municipale du Québec (CMQ) in the quote on ethics from mayor Serge Newberry and that for the moment, nothing was going to change in the (...)

lire la suite

The Union denounces the teleworking measures within the Quebec public service

19 January 2021

The Syndicat de la function publique et parapublique du Québec (SFPQ) denounced what it considers a double speech of the Legault government concerning compulsory teleworking and the application of this measure in the ministries and organizations. The Laurentides-Lanaudière-Outaouais Regional (...)

lire la suite


Advertising